It’s time to show the students on campus the amazing benefits that Honor Society has to offer that will contribute to the success of their graduation and thereon after. You should have already received the tabling cloth, swag bags and promotional items, such as pens. If you have not received these items, please let me know ASAP. Flyers should be made in advance to the event and posted on the event board around campus with approval from the University. Also, encourage your executive board members to make an announcement before/after class advertising the event. My suggestion is to have a sign-up sheet with slots for name, email and phone number and hand it off to a student to be passed around during class.
- Set the event details, make sure you pick an active spot around campus to reach a mass audience. Once you have the event schedule, create either 2 or 3 shifts between that reserved time for your committee to sign-up to volunteer. (You want to start checking on student fairs in August before school starts to get the best spot on campus.) While the fair is a great start to recruit for the general body, you should plan for a table to be hosted 2x a month until your chapter meeting attendance has improved above 60% and is active.
- Your volunteers should be spread out in the area. You should have 2 at the table, 2 more walking in the area of the table and then have 2 walkers to scan the area encouraging students to go check out the table. Everybody is passing out flyers and encouraging sign-ups for information.
- You can use “Pinterest” to find game ideas or reserve the campus sound system for music, check with the university on their tabling requirements for music.
- Make sure to have a treat of some sort at the table (mini cupcakes, candy, etc.). Something small and inexpensive will make the table inviting and draw more people in. Showcase the promo items on the table for branding (Remember it’s your choice on how you distribute those swag bags)
- Be sure to wear an Honor Society shirt (preferably) or casual business attire, such as slacks and a nice blouse.
- Prepare a short elevator pitch for your presentation. Students will be walking or hanging out on campus. You want to provide short but precise details on the chapter. It’s all about the approach, the speech opening and maintaining professionalism while having fun talking to these potential members. Shake their hands and smile.
Example: “Hi my name is Tina, and as a member of Honor Society, I’d like to express how our members are successfully completing their academic programs with our resources. We provide a wide range of scholarships to reach a mass audience and post-graduate assistance for professionals entering the workforce. Most importantly, our members are networking and growing in excellence, from their University years and beyond. Join us for a meeting, I’d like to show you why Honor Society will elevate you as a student, young professional, and future leader.”